- 200g walnuts – cut in smaller chunks
- 300g dates – cut in smaller chunks
- 6 egg whites
- 300g raw sugar
Preheat oven to 220C. Roast the walnuts for about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it as they burn easily! Move them onto a cold tray to cool down quicker.
Lower the oven temperature to 160C.
Line a baking tray with a baking paper.
Whisk the egg whites to soft peek, then add the sugar slowly and whisk until the meringue is creamy, thick and stiff.
Add the dates and walnuts into the meringue and fold in gently. Move into the cake tin and bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- add some other dry fruits like cranberries, raisins or others for some delicious twist
- replace dates with dry figs for a change
- make sure the mixing bowl is absolutely dry before mixing the egg whites, otherwise the meringue won’t get stiff
- Serve the slice with some vanilla ice cream on top 🙂