It was a great pleasure for me to present the design and the 13 pages design report to the volunteers of the community gardens today 🙂 And because I know that many of you are interested in this project, I am happy to present you a little glimpse of the report which is the final design of the Community Garden – Food Growing Area.
I just recently had the pleasure to design a 10 years plan for the Rainbow Gully Community Commons – Community Garden in Hervey Bay QLD Australia. The 13 pages design report is covering all elements of the design, detailed description of each element and additional notes and recommendations.
The design follows the Permaculture Ethics and Principles. The main goals are:
- Productive and easy to maintain food forest area with edibles available all year round including annuals, self-seeding, perennials, shrubs and trees – obtain yield, design from patterns to details, Observe and interact
- Dedicated bush tucker area – integrate don’t segregate,
- Keeping rain water on land – catch and store energy, Observe and interact,
- Inviting place – attracting more volunteers of all ages – Observe and interact, integrate don’t segregate,
- Educational garden areas – apply self-regulation and feedback,
- Easy accessible garden beds for all ages – Observe and interact, Obtain yield, use and value diversity, design from patterns to details, integrate don’t segregate,
- More shade, more sitting areas – Observe and interact,
- Dedicated plants propagation area – use small and slow solutions, obtain yield,
- Compost production area – use and value renewables, produce no waste
- Incorporating existing main elements into new design – integrate don’t segregate,
Permaculture principles: Observe and interact, catch and store energy, obtain yield, apply self-regulation and feedback, use and value renewables, produce no waste, design from patterns to details, integrate don’t segregate, use small and slow solutions, use and value diversity, use edges and value the marginal, creatively use and respond to change
Do you need help in designing your place or would you like to have a talk what can be done and how? Click here for more info.