These cookies are very easy to make, have beautiful colour and delicious taste. The additional little extra of Rosella jam on top makes them irresistible 🙂
Purple Yam Cookies (made from fresh yam)
- Peel and cut the yam into smaller pieces. Cook in water or even better steam until soft. Mash with fork or in a food processor and put aside. You need 200g of mashed yam for this recipe. I always cook at least double and then freeze it in a container for future use.
- Combine: 280g plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt and put aside
- Place the mashed yam in a bowl or food processor and add while mixing: 200g white sugar, a dash or two of vanilla extract, 1/2 butter (112g) unsalted, room temperature, soft or even melted (but not hot) and 1 egg.
- Add the flour mix and combine until the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Cover with a clean towel or cling wrap and place in a fridge for about 2 hours.
- Scoop about half tablespoon one by one, form into a ball and place on a baking paper. Roll in a pure icing sugar, place back on the baking paper and bake in a pre-heated oven at 150°C (no fan, just bottom and top heater setting) for about 15 minutes -depends on your oven.
- Take out of the oven and cool to room temperature. Store in a air tight container in a room temperature for up to 3 days.
- place some jam on top just before serving
- use only plain flour and white sugar if you want to keep the vibrant colour of the yam
- I have add some fresh Rosella fruit into the dough, cut into tiny pieces, to let the red colour pop out a bit more