I cannot remember where I have this recipe from. It is very easy to do and you don’t need to measure anything. Some people asked me to share it so here it is 🙂
- Wash the eggplant. You can peel it if the skin is very thick. Cut it in about 1 cm or 1/2 inch thick sticks. Place in a colander, sprinkle generously with salt and mix it through with your fingers. Place a plate on top of the eggplant, weight it all down and leave for at least two hours to get the moisture out.
- Bring to boil 1:1 water and white! vinegar. Add eggplant in batches and boil for only ONE minute! Take it out and place on a tray lined with a paper towel in one layer only and wait
- Cut garlic and chili in small pieces. Combine it all gently in a bowl with eggplant and sunflower oil. Don’t use olive oil or coconut oil as it gets solid by cold temperatures and this is not what you want!
- Move the mixture into sterilized jars, top with sunflower oil, close the jars and leave in pantry or cupboard for at least two weeks.
- After opening the jar, keep in fridge.