Cooking with Yucca flowers is fun and the Yucca plant is so easy to grow! Yucca flowers contain high amounts of vitamin C and antioxidants. They can be prepared in many ways like delicious antipasti, omelets, soups, sauteed with tomatoes and onions, pasta sauce, and, and, and. Yucca blossoms taste like something between artichoke and white cabbage. The best way to prepare is to blanche the petals before you start cooking with them. You can freeze the blanched petals for later use.
Last night, we had Yucca flowers as a side dish. Delicious! My husband cooked it and here is the recipe.
Yucca Blossoms with Bacon and Green Onions – Cooking with Yucca
- Separate the petals from the flowers. Use the petals only as the middle part is bitter. Rinse under fresh water to remove any dirt or dust
- Blanche the petals for 30 seconds in boiling water. Place on a clean kitchen towel to remove excess water.
- Cut some smoked pork belly or bacon into little cubes. Fry on a pan with some caraway seeds for a few minutes.
- Add brown or raw sugar, salt, pepper, and fry for a bit more for a minute or two.
- Add onion or green onions. Fry for a minute or two.
- Add blanched Yucca petals, one teaspoon of vinegar, lemon, or lime juice, and fry for another minute or two.
- Enjoy! We used about half of the petals. The other half went to the freezer for later use.